Friday, January 4, 2013

Replacing the Lock Tumbler: Day One

Since, I've owned the vehicle, I've already gotten into very very minor projects: changing the oil and oil filter, replacing the battery, replacing the air filter, cleaning the air box, and scrubbing the front bottom half of the oil pan. These are tiny projects, but for a non-car guy each one is a learning experience.

Last weekend I broke the ignition tumbler, or at least I think I did. As I was parking the vehicle, I discovered the key would not turn to the off position, and that it was in fact frozen in the run position. After a moment of freaking out, I drove to NAPA, careful not to stall (I still do that, its my first stick). A gentlemen heard my story, and informed me that it sounded like a broken or frozen locking tumbler. He explained that the ignition cylinder was separate from the locking tumbler, and that spring had probably slipped out and caused the cylinder to lock. I believe him, drove home, stalled the vehicle out in the parking spot, and found a buddy to help me commute to work for the next week.

Fast forward to today.

After some browsing and research on websites like binderplanet.com, I visited another NAPA store with the hopes of buying the part (locking tumbler for a tilt steering column, although I don't think there is difference in tumblers between tilt and non-tilt columns) and the tools I needed. For tools, Lefty's post and his photo gallery showed me that I'd need a steering wheel removal tool, and a locking plate removal tool. Both of these were purchased at NAPA for about ten dollars each, and the replacement part itself was roughly double that. All in all I walked out having spent just over 50.00 USD on parts and tools that should make the beast roll once again.

Unfortunately, I had to order the replacement part from a more distant store, and the first tool that I needed to use, the steering wheel removal tool, lacked the proper bolts. It turns out, my Scout II needs 1/4 inch diameter bolts of at least 2.5 inches in length with a 28 thread pitch to thread into the steering wheel, and the removal tool didn't have such fine bolts. Long story short, tomorrow entails a morning trip to NAPA.

Below are some photos, probably more than needed, details what little work I did today. The photos are mostly taken so I can remember how to reassemble the column after the tumbler is replaced.


The chrome tumbler to be replaced.
Eventually it will be black, for style.
The wheel prior to any work.
The first piece removed.

After removing two screws (one was missing originally).

Second piece removed.

The wheel after removing the rubber piece shown two picture above.

Another view.


A bolt of some sort that was sitting on the plate shown above.
Used a 7/16 socket, I think. Came off easy.


A spring that was released as I was fiddling around with a plastic piece that cracked.
Horn apparatus? Another view below.

Another view. Notice that I removed the screws from the steering wheel.


As it sits now, ready for some desperate love tomorrow.
Christ, I want my daily driver back. Come on, Scout!


No comments:

Post a Comment