Friday, January 4, 2013

Background

This is my Scout II.
There are many like it, but this one is mine.

As far as I am aware, it is a '74 body on a '77 chassis, a project which was undertaken by the previous (and certainly not only) owner of the vehicle. Its got a 345 V8 under the bonnet, 4 speeds on a manual transmission, and the rest of the specs I'm discovering as I go. The gentleman who sold it to me is a friend, lives in the area, and has pledged his support when it comes to the vehicle. One of the top qualities that motivated me to purchase this beast was the he didn't want to own it anymore, but still wanted to tinker on it. That's like saying, "Here, have the car, I don't want the ownership or any of those perks, but god damn count me in for the problems. Especially the messy ones."

It shakes, rattles, and rolls when I can get it started. When it does start, it purrs like an eight cylinder kitten. The Scout is my first manual transmission vehicle, and the first vehicle that I've ever felt comfortable working on, or rather, fiddling with. I've already gleened a lot from just browsing forums, and I've toyed with posting on those forums instead of a blog, but I'd rather a more concise journal regarding the projects I undertake.

Before I go any further, let me confess that I am not very knowledgeable about cars, and will hold back information in areas where I lack confidence. For example, I mentioned a few basic specs above. I believe the car has Dana 44 axles, front and rear, but I am not knowledgeable enough to get under the truck and identify those parts for myself. Please, please, correct me as I continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment